Saturday, November 5, 2011
Grinding My Gears
This weekend is the annual Lone Star Rally. It is the ultimate display of redneckery. It is the nation's largest weekend bike rally. So for the last three days and for tomorrow, there are motorcycles literally everywhere I turn. They think they own the flipping island! They park their "Iron Horses" on the sidewalks and on the walkways to stores. So annoying. The entire downtown area is sectioned off for the rally for the vendors and such. I can just imagine the amount of beer being consumed, which only leads to more moments in the redneck hall of fame. I'm not saying that all motorcycle riders are rednecks, but these here people is, I tell you what. They all seem to be in their 40's-60's and think the Vietnam War just ended. I haven't heard so much Jimmy Hendrix music since I stopped smoking pot. (Which I haven't don't before Bishop.) The crowning event is the "Promenade," where all the riders dress up in costumes and ride around the city. Really? Promenade? You couldn't think of a gayer name?
What really bothers me is the stupidity of these guests to our island city. They are the most reckless drivers and have no consideration to cars. They never signal which I would think would be of up most importance considering they are on a bike and no one knows what they are doing! Whizzing in between cars and cutting people off just so they can get to the bar or Chili's faster. And why is it that none of them wear a helmet?! I would guess that nearly 1 in 20 has a helmet. And that is including the ones that have helmets but elect to use them as a decoration hanging from the side of their bike rather than wear them. 500,000 riders are projected to come this weekend. I wonder how many of them will make it home. I know at least two won't be. I quote from the local newspaper:
"GALVESTON COUNTY, Texas -- Two people died and another was injured in two separate crashes at a motorcycle rally in Galveston County.
Both crashes happened at the Lone Star Rally on Friday. Galveston police said Guy Dale Stratton, 51, crashed into a school bus at 3:50 p.m. in the 1200 block of 26th Street.Stratton was pinned underneath the bus. He was taken to the University of Texas Medical Branch in critical condition.Investigators said Stratton failed to stop at a stop sign. Investigators have not said whether alcohol was a factor in the crash. In a second crash at 10 p.m. in the 7800 block of I-45 North, two people were killed. Witnesses told police the motorcycle they were riding was traveling at a high rate of speed when it hit the curb, causing the driver to lose control.The names of the victims were not immediately released, but police said they were a 34-year-old man and a 27-year-old woman who appeared to be husband and wife. Neither victim was wearing a helmet." This was from yesterday's paper. Today, Jen and I where on our way home from the temple and as soon as we got back into Galveston we saw another accident. I am nearly positive the guy died. Working as an EMT, I have seen a few motorcycle accidents. None of them were pretty and all of them disturbed me. This guy I saw laying on the asphalt today was by far the worse trauma patient I have ever seen. He probably would have turned out better and maybe even lived if he was wearing a helmet. Sometimes, I hate Free Agency.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment